Saturday, January 27, 2007

Are you waiting for the "perfect" opportunity

Recently I began a project to organize some of my files. I do this in order to stay on top of the never-ending mountain of information I gather day in and day out.

More times than not, I end up throwing out more than I keep. I find this allow me to be extremely productive and accomplish more of my short-term and long-term goals.

As I was reading through some of my articles (many written several years ago) I came across one that gave me one of those "warm and fuzzy" feelings.

Permit me to explain.
Every day I talk with people who have the dream of writing a book whether as an eBook or a physical book. I also hear from people who want to launch a business, a teleseminar, or just about anything that is an expression of who they are.

Daily I hear the frustration of those who have talked about their dream for longer than they can remember. Often their frustration stems from their inability to take action and/or to try to get it “perfect”.

My recommendation is often the same regardless of whom I am talking with. I say, “Rather than simply dream about something and try to get it perfect be willing to take some type of action to fulfill your dream.”

Over the years I have heard virtually every type of excuse there is as to why this is not possible. On the one hand it saddens me to think about the countless numbers of people who have a dream and never fulfill it. On the other hand, I simply smile because I used to be one of those who had more excuses than there are hours in a day.

What I came to realize is that the excuses will always be there and it is up to me to fulfill my destiny; as it is up to each of us to fulfill our destiny.

The only way dreams come true is to take some kind of action on them. Something, anything, but an action.

Again, we can always find excuses as to why something is not possible. Or we can wait until something is perfect to the point you will never take any action.

Find reasons why you can do something
Rather than looking for excuses as to why something can’t happen seek reasons why it IS possible.

Below is the article that gave me pause for thought. Since the time this article was written I have published two books, at least six information eProducts, developed several new mentoring courses, launched dozens of Teleseminars and made a major relocation to a beautiful location.

The information products have been hugely successful, I love my location, I have a great team of people I am working with and my last book became an Amazon bestseller.

I don’t say this to boast or to impress you, rather to impress upon you that excuses will always be waiting for us around the next corner. So will our ability to fulfill a dream, a destiny, a purpose.

My book becoming a bestseller was no small feat in that my co-author was burdened with a very traumatic experience during the time we wrote the book, got it published and took it to market. Rather than finding a reason not to write our book, The Law of Achievement, she was compelled to put her thoughts to paper in what is now one of the books we are both most proud of.


Will your life be filled with excuses or the ability to take action? To discover a strategy for success take a few minutes to read about how you can “Take Your Idea From Thought to Reality.”

ARTICLE


Take Your Idea From Thought to Reality
My business associate and I were recently on a business trip to New Orleans, scheduled to speak at a leadership conference. Taking full advantage of our travel time, we worked on a plan for one of many products we are introducing to our markets. The plan included how to market our soon-to-be released book, “101 Ways to Get Your Foot in the Door.”

As fate would have it, the gentleman driving the cab both to and from the airport and hotel shared some incredible words of wisdom during our 30 minute drive. He said, “When you get a vision (an idea), it is your responsibility to explore that vision. If you don’t, it’s a sin.”

One definition of sin is ‘to miss the mark.’ How often does someone miss the mark and fail to achieve their greatest potential by simply not pursuing their ideas?

Our driver, Jerome “PopAgee” Johnson, believes that with the vision comes the responsibility of putting a plan together to determine the most feasible way to achieve the outcome. He went on to advise that you must take action and not let obstacles stop you.

You might wonder why the words of this humble yet talkative cab driver would have such an impact on me. Like a great number of people, I have often been guilty of shutting out “words of wisdom” given by others. Sadly, people will miss incredible messages from others because they don’t take the time to listen to what is being shared. Perhaps they judge the messenger and miss the message. On this particular day, I was fortunate to be very receptive and hear what was being said.

Turns out PopAgee had gotten an idea many years before that he just knew he had been “chosen” to pursue. An idea that would take commitment, belief, plans, overcoming numerous obstacles, dealing with ridicule from others and so much more. We had no inkling when we got into this man’s cab that we would be sharing our time with the founder of the New Orleans Hall of Fame, Inc.

Truth be told, I felt as if there were no mistake we had ended up in this man’s cab on this particular day. I believe that we are often fated to connect with people of every description and station in life in order to share and receive valuable information.

As if he could read my mind, PopAgee said the reason he loves driving a cab is because of the people he meets. People he knows he is meant to connect with and who have been instrumental in fulfilling his vision and mission. Knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt his idea was divinely inspired, he never strayed from the belief that his idea would one day come to fruition.

As fate would have it, just that day funding for the major historical jazz project he founded came through. Funding he and others have been working on obtaining for years.

As I boarded the plane I couldn’t help but think about the number of people I have met over the years who have ideas and yet do nothing with them. Here I just met a man who has worked on his idea for over 20 years and wouldn’t give up.

So what’s the difference between those who either won’t try or give up at the slightest obstacle and those who just won’t quit? Resolve. A commitment and determination so strong that regardless of what comes their way they figure out how to get to the other side of any challenge.

Knowing it is only a matter of days until the release of “101 Ways to Get Your Foot in the Door,” I am reflecting on what my co-authors and I have done to turn our idea into a final product. It may appear as if this book happened overnight, but the fact is that it took several months of planning, writing, budgeting, preparation, design, vision, and dedication to make this happen. A dedication that took an idea from a thought and turned it into a product.

As you reflect on your business, what idea have you been thinking about? Perhaps now is the time to develop, plan and turn your idea into something until now you have only dreamed of.

-end-

No comments: