Sunday, December 09, 2007

I don't have any money and I don't know where to start.



Denise Wakeman of The Blog Squad had a great post on one of her blogs. It has to do with a poll we have been conducting. The post was so good, I couldn't help but take most of it for this post....



I don't have any money and I don't know where to start.

It's been interesting to watch the results of our
current poll as people vote to let us know where they are having trouble with marketing their business on the Internet.


The past two days the "winners" have been:

I don't have any money so how can I start an Internet-based business?

I don't know where to start.

Interesting.

There are so many free resources and tools on the 'net, it perplexes me that people feel they don't have the resources to get started. I know they do.

So that leaves me with "I don't know where to start." I think that gives us a better picture of what's going on.

Kathleen Gage, Patsi and I are carefully monitoring this poll and are having daily IM chats, emails and phone conversations about the best way to address these issues in our free teleseminar on December 17.


Last night, Kathleen and I were exchanging emails about when we were first starting out online, with literally no money, how we took risks, made scary investments in mentoring, marketing programs and tools, and a lot of desire to teach, share, coach and have our own businesses. For me, it started in 1996. I didn't know anything.



Read the rest of Denise's post at http://www.biztipsblog.com/2007/12/i-dont-have-any.html

She reveals some great insights.


Kathleen Gage
The Street Smarts Marketer



4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hello
Thank you for sharing your expertise!

Maybe others feel like I do. I have tried my best to do all the things that are recommended, the blog, the MySpace, etc etc. I have spent untold hours doing these things. Sometimes the information is so technical that I don't have a clue what they are talking about.

But in the end - none of these things have sold even one book for me. So what am I doing wrong?

Keep up the good work!

Stephanie Ehmen
author of
"Angels and Quilt Pieces...Our Journey with a Katrina Family"
www.eagleswingspublications.com

Kathleen Gage said...

Hi Stephanie,

It can be frustrating when you are doing what seems to be all the right things and yet, it just isn't working.

Actually, that is something we will be talking about on Monday during our teleseminar. I do hope you were able to register as it is free and we will share some great insights. Insights from three women who once didn't know how to make it work and now we all make a living at this thing called the Internet. http://www.blogsquadteleseminars.com/5traps/

Have a great evening.

Kathleen Gage
The Street Smarts Marketer

Anonymous said...

For Stephanie (and others who relate to Stephanie):

(1) Blogs and Myspace are traffic attraction strategies. Now you need a conversion strategy: What will visitors do when they get to your site?

(2) Have you tested your market to identify demand for this topic, online and offline? Do you know who's searching and if so, how?

These questions are challenging. I've been encouraging my own clients to start marketing *before* they write the first ine of their books.

Cathy Goodwin
The Content Strategist

Kathleen Gage said...

Very well said Cathy. Your recommendations are outstanding.

Kathleen Gage
The Street Smarts Marketer