Friday, September 14, 2007

The Author's Corner Features Hazel Statham

This week’s featured author is Hazel Statham. Hazel lives in Staffordshire, England. She started writing at fifteen and has written on and off ever since. She had her first two novels published in 2005. Currently, she has nine books completed with another in the works. Hazel has always been fascinated by history and writes mainly in the Regency and Georgian eras, although she has been known to stray into Medieval times.

1. Tell us about yourself – where you are from, how you got started writing, what you do when you are not writing (or anything you want our readers to know)

I live in the UK and have been enthralled by history for as long as I can remember. I felt a compulsion to write at fifteen and completed my first novel-length story at sixteen. The first was quickly followed by two more and I took my inspiration from the Brontes, Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer. 'Jane Eyre' still remains my all-time-favourite and I think, subconsciously, there is a little bit of Edward Fairfax Rochester in all my heroes. Animals are my other ruling passion and until recently, I was the treasurer for an organisation that raised funds for animal charities. Over the years, we have owned everything from hamsters to horses and we currently share our home with a lovely Labrador named Lucy. I have a beautiful grandson named Daniel who spends a lot of time with me whilst his parents are working and we have a great time.

2. What inspired you to write your first book?
I don't really know. I read all the usual classic romances and suddenly found myself writing my own. I loved to create my own characters and situations and it was something I had done in my thoughts for years - I just started committing it to paper. It started to escalate when a work colleague began reading my work and encouraged the other girls in the office to do likewise and soon I found myself with a small readership.


3. How many books have you written?
Including the first three, which are now long gone, I have a total of nine completed with one still a work in progress.

4. How do you decide on their topic?
It has to be historical and set in the Georgian or Regency eras I know and love. 'My Dearest Friend' was inspired by a dream, whereas 'The Portrait' came from a line in a song from the film 'Hawks'. The Peninsular War inspires me and several of my characters are in some way connected to it.


5.What works best to keep you focused and on track?
I like to write when I am alone and there is complete silence.

6.Do you write to make money or for the love of writing?
Definitely for the love of it. I write for myself and publication is just a huge bonus. I would write even if my work never saw the light of day.

7. What are some traditional methods of marketing you have used to gain visibility for you and your book(s)?
Self-promotion doesn't come easily to me but I have approached review sites for reviews and have arranged banner and book cover advertising. I live in the UK but have sent flyers (via other authors) to conferences etc. I have also given talks to book groups.

8. What are some unique methods?
For me, the Virtual Book Tour is quite unique. Living this side of the Atlantic, I am not able to attend book signing events and this gives me the opportunity to reach a wider readership.

9. Do you sell through a website?
My publisher's website,
www.wings-press.com Amazon and Fictionwise.

10. Do you plan on writing additional books?
Writing is too much a part of me for me to stop now. It is a compulsion that will not be ignored and I am happier when I have a project under way.

This interview was done in conjunction with Pump Up Your Book Promotion Virtual Book Tours –
www.pumpupyourbookpromotion.com.

The Author's Corner is a weekly feature of The Street Smarts Marketing and Promotion Blog and Kathleen Gage, The Street Smarts Marketer.




No comments: